Discover how to write a cover letter that reflects your motivation to obtain a job.
You have completed your CV that highlights all your skills and qualifications. Now, how can you demonstrate your motivation and convince that you are the ideal candidate? By writing a cover letter!
Even though it is important for job search in many sectors, the cover letter is not easy to write. Here are some tips to help you.
1. Use a sample cover letter
Don’t start from scratch!
Download the DRAKKAR sample cover letter.
You only have to replace the text with your own words, without worrying about the format or layout. The ideal structure? The template contains three paragraphs:
2. Write your letter
Compose your cover letter, taking into consideration the following points:
- Learn about the organization, as though you were preparing for an interview.
- Tailor the text to the job and the organization in question. Whatever you do, don’t send a letter that is addressed to another employer.
- Demonstrate your motivation! Your letter should reflect your personality and your ability to communicate.
- Explain why you would like to work for this organization.
- Specify how your skills match the position you applied for.
- Avoid repetition, especially the pronoun « I » at the start of every sentence.
3. Review, review and … review again!
- It can’t be stated often enough: you must pay maximum attention to the language and presentation.
- Use every tool at your disposal: dictionaries, correctors, spell-checkers, etc.
- Read and proofread.
- If possible, ask a knowledgeable friend/family member to read the letter.